Rise in drinking

The UK’s lockdown drinking habits & favourite Quarantinis revealed

Post image
As the UK’s lockdown restrictions begin to ease, we wanted to find out how the isolation period has impacted your drinking habits, and whether the closure of bars and clubs has increased or decreased alcohol consumption at all.

So, we asked 3,000 of you just that - how has the Covid-19 lockdown affected your drinking habits?

The results of our research are quite shocking, revealing that over half (54%) of British adults are drinking more during lockdown, a third (34%) are drinking the ‘same’ as before and just one in ten (12%) are drinking less in isolation.
Post image
We also wanted to find out what types of drinks Brits have been favouring, are we creating makeshift cocktails or sticking to the classic Pinot Grigio and pint of Lager? It turns out it’s a mixture of both! The top ten most popular Quarantinis are:
  • Gin and tonic
  • White wine
  • Cider
  • Prosecco
  • Dark ‘n’ Stormy
  • Vodka Soda & lime
  • Red Wine
  • Pimm’s
  • Lager
  • Rum and coke
As well as looking into your favourite boozy tipples during this period, we asked how many units of alcohol you are consuming weekly.

Considering half of the population are drinking more, it’s not surprising that the results reveal Brits are drinking 18 units of alcohol a week in lockdown on average - the equivalent of 9 glasses of wine or 18 gin and tonics, however it is 29% more than what an adult is advised to drink weekly.*

Whether that sounds like a lot or not that much to you, according to our results, this increase alone equates to an extra 800 calories a week in alcohol consumption, resulting in an average weight gain of 5lbs since lockdown began!

We were interested to discover why the majority of us are drinking more, although it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Two thirds of you (62%) indicated it’s due to ‘boredom’, over a quarter (26%) stated it’s to ‘relieve stress’ and one in five (10%) said the increase is due to ‘virtual socialising’. Other answers given by respondents included not driving and for celebratory reasons.
Post image
We also asked you when happy hour is.

Unsurprisingly the evening is the top time for a tipple, with nine in ten respondents (92%) stating they drink after 7pm. The remaining 8% all stated that their happy hour was between 4pm and 7pm.

Along with this, two fifths (39%) admitted to drinking during designated work hours (let’s hope your bosses don’t find out!) and one in twenty (4%) confessed to reaching for the booze before midday. We also asked why you drink at these times, common answers given include ‘children in bed’, ‘drinking with dinner’ and ‘to wind down after work’.

Lyvit.co.uk’s founders said,

“We are a nation of drinkers, and with pubs and bars closed it’s no surprise that we’re drinking more at home, but we didn’t expect to discover just how many people have been drinking more through lockdown. Whether it is a cold beer in the nice weather or a glass of wine on the weekly video quiz, alcohol has been helping many people through these unpredictable times – and our survey definitely shows that.“


“Obviously, alcohol consumption should be moderated, but we understand that a nice drink at the end of the day can provide short-term respite. However, we hope people keep mindful of their alcohol intake and most importantly drink responsibly.“

Post image